DAVID HELYARD (DMS)
Deira Aero Projects Ltd
19 Simmonds View
BRISTOL BS34 8HQ
07946 382934 (Mobile)
E Mail: email@example.com
A highly experienced and professional Project Manager from an engineering background who is confident, friendly, influential and an assertive person, used to working in a multi function matrix organisation. A self-starter who enjoys the challenge of new projects and will explore differing approaches to achieve the desired result. Have managed engineering change and costs, to improve productivity and profitability.
- Management of high value projects in a complex
organisation, controlling direct and indirect staff assigned to the project and
liaising with their functional managers. Generating and administrating the
Personal Development and Performance Plans for all direct reports.
- Logistic management and the control of
engineering change in a complex technical environment plus associated
activities, i.e. progress reporting, financial impact, documentation control,
quality and commercial implications.
- Excellent communicating skills with the ability
to work at all levels from director to shop floor and the compilation and
presentation of reports using a variety of mediums. Experienced in dealing with
customers from around the world.
- IT literacy with the ability to use a number of
recognised software packages. Experienced in the management and selection of
new IT systems and implementation of systems within a multi site environment.
- Experienced top level programmer with an
excellent understanding of Work and Organisational Break Down structures in an
Earned Value environment, which meet the planning, financial and data reporting
requirements of the UK, US, Swedish and Australian government smart procurement
- Excellent understanding of the Airbus AOP system, PMITS and good working knowledge of the Airbus SAP Finance process and their project management and procurement principles (GRESS).
CAREER TO DATE
Hyde Group Engineering Limited (HGEL) 2010 – July 2012
SENIOR ON SITE PROJECT MANAGER / OFFICE MANAGER
- Project management activities on behalf of HGEL
for the A350 Main Landing Gear Support Structure (MLGSS), Trailing Edge Details
(TED) and Trailing Edge Secondary Structure (TESS) at the Airbus Filton site.
- As a senior member of the HGEL management team,
responsibility for the Project Management and development of business
activities for the HGEL Product Development Division within Airbus Filton, and direct
responsibility for all HGEL employees based on the Filton site irrespective of
division. I won sufficient work to increase the team size by some 45
contractors based directly at the Filton site and won work for a further 85 based
in the Aztec, Broughton and Brough Offices.
- Responsible for day to day management, operation
and running of the HGEL Aztec Office employing some 28 contract and permanent
- Commercial responsibility for all HGEL Product Development division activities in the South of England.
AMEC – Gloucester 2009 - 2009
Project manager - Consulting and Engineering
- Responsible for the profit and loss account and heading up the project teams responsible for a number of activities within the nuclear power industry. Supporting the team tasked with developing a defence capability and acting as bid manager and primary point of contact for those activities associated with this capability.
AIRBUS UK – FILTON 2007 - 2009
PROJECT MANAGEMENT SUPPORT – Fuel Systems Test Facility.
- Project Management within the Fuel Systems Test Facility. Development of Earned Value Management principles, championing project management activities within the various teams, Risk reporting, Budget Management, identification of resource requirements (permanent and sub con) and the coaching and development of Project Management principles to members of the FSTF Team.
Assystem UK Ltd (INBIS) 2006 – 2007
A400M Program Manager
- Heading the project management team through four direct reports responsible for 120 people tasked with delivering the A400M programme on schedule, ensuring both cost and quality requirements are met.
of Earned Value Management principles, championing project management activities within the various teams, Risk reporting, Budget Management,
identification of resource requirements and the coaching and development of
Project Management principles
- Representing the company at Airbus UK Senior Management reviews.
Project Manager - A400M Pneumatics 2006 - 2006
- Headed a team of 22 responsible for the design
and development of the Leading Edge Pneumatics system, implementing project
management principles and ensuring cost and quality requirements were met and represent at Assystem at Customer Project
CONFIGURATION MANAGER AND INTERIM OPERATIONS MANAGER
- Responsible for the Configuration process of
EADS DS ensuring all contractual obligations regarding the configuration of
deliverable items were undertaken in timely and cost effective manner and the provision
of specialist support to new project bidding activities.
- Providing functional management to 22 direct
reports consisting of permanent, contractor and consultants within a budget of
- Representing EADS DS at Customer and Senior
management project review meetings.
- Revision and update of Configuration Procedures to reflect changes in business processes.
AIRBUS UK – FILTON 2004 - 2005
PROJECT MANAGEMENT SUPPORT – U/c R&T / A400M.
- Project Management within the undercarriage R&T Domain, and subsequently the A400M Fuel Systems Department. Development of Earned Value Management principles, championing project management activities within the various teams, Risk reporting, Budget Management, identification of resource requirements (permanent and sub con) and the coaching and development of Project Management principles to members of the R&T and A400M Fuel Team.
BAESYSTEMS - SAMLESBURY. 2002 – 2003
Configuration Control Manager – Main Units
- Interim management of a team of five responsible
for the control and disposition of engineering change on both the Twin and
Single Seat variants of the Eurofighter.
- Interface Management of the Design function with
the Weapons System Integration Team.
- Development of a CSAD and CSAR capability.
- Representing the Configuration Management
function at Senior Management reviews.
- Post appointment of a permanent employee, responsible for the identification, resolution and closure of all outstanding manufacturing change on the Twin Seat variant of the Eurofighter, prior to acceptance by the customer and its entry into service.
mayflower technical services. 2001 – 2001
- Onsite Project Manager for BAESYSTEMS, located at STS Defence Ltd. (Gosport, Hants.). Responsible for the onsite Project Management of all activities, associated with ensuring satisfactory delivery of the main cockpit control and roof panels, for a major aircraft system.
aeROTECH DYNAMICS. 2000 - 2001
- Project & Configuration Management consultancy.
BAESystems (formerly British Aerospace) 1966 – 2000
Configuration Control Manager (Australia) 1997 – 2000
- Headed a team of 4 direct reports who controlled
the configuration standard of all documentation, reports and engineering
changes required to support the design (Technical budget 1.2M man-hours) and
manufacturing standard of the items of supply.
- Acted as the principle interface on production
engineering, manufacturing, quality and aircraft acceptance issues with the
senior Commonwealth in plant team members located in the U.K., seconded to
manage the project on the Commonwealths behalf.
- Chaired the Hawk Configuration Control Board of
13, responsible for the disposition of all changes to the design / build
standard of the items of supply during the acquisition phase of the RAAF
(Australia), Canadian, and RAF (UK) Hawk contracts and determining the
strategic policy to be implemented for the procurement of equipment and the
build standard of future contracts.
- Appointed as a member of the UK MoD’s Smart
Procurement working group reviewing and recommending changes to the future
procurement policy to be adopted for management of engineering and
manufacturing change on all future defence contracts, with industry
- Co-ordinated the development of a subset of the
NASA Product Manager System (circa £3M budget) and a MS Access database to
provided the Royal Australian Air force with a Master Record Index (MRI) giving
detailed definition of the design/build/quality standard of each item of
- Developed and implemented a Contract Change
Management process and system across 3 sites which completed the audit trail
and provide current status, a register, and all documents associated with
authorised and un-authorised changes. As budget holder, administrated and
approved all budget issues associated with the compilation of change requests
up to a value of £25M
- Administered all activities associated with
security and visit procedures for the senior RAAF officers from Australia and
controlled all activities associated with BAe. Australia nationals, seconded to
- Screening Interviewer and functional assessment panel member, for the selection and recruitment of divisional ‘Fast Track’ graduates within the Military Aircraft Division (Brough, Warton, Samlesbury and Farnbourgh) Project Management organisation.
New Business Executive 1995 – 1997
- Investigated and analysed a problem management
situation that which affected customer service and proposed a practical
solution, which following implementation, eliminated the problem.
- Invited to join and lead a specialist Project
Management Team assembled to address the major problems being experienced with
the Management Control System, which had reached the end of its commercial life
and identified then procured an effective replacement.
- Introduced an Earned Value Culture compliant
with US and Australian Department of Defence requirements to provide detailed
performance management information to all levels, especially Team Leaders, in
all budgeted areas to see current financial status, against plan.
- To meet the needs of the bid, to supply the
Commonwealth of Australia Hawk Aircraft, concurrently developed a Project Work
Breakdown Structure (WBS), an Organisational Breakdown Structure (OBS) and the
Project Plan to identify what is to be done, by whom and when.
- Compiled the detailed Configuration Management Plan which satisfied the Contract Data Requirements List of the multi-million £ Commonwealth of Australia, Hawk bid.
Project Manager – Middle East 1994 – 1995
- Selected as Manager of one of the first
Integrated Product Teams (IPT) handling all aspects of a Middle East £350m Hawk
contract with up to 300 employees across 3 sites, managed through 7 Direct
- As IPT Leader, appointed a member of the Hawk
Project Board, which formulated the project strategy to meet company
requirements and presented the status of the project on a monthly basis.
- Succeeded in delivering the contract one month
ahead of time and under budget
- As the principle customer interface and
co-chairman of all formal customer reviews presenting on behalf of the company,
the status of the project and agreeing all change requests.
- Headed the Simultaneous Engineering Team
activities consisting of 18 direct reports, on two major Middle East contracts.
The SET evaluated the contract terms, generated the technical and production
programmes, formulated the engineering and build philosophy and ensured the
customer’s aspirations of the build standard, fully met his requirements.
Assistant Project Manager 1986 – 1991Cost Controller – Details 1983 – 1986
Senior MANUFACTURING Engineer – Details 1981 – 1983
Production Project Engineer 1974 – 1981
PRoduction Planning Engineer 1972 - 1974
QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING COURSES
Diploma in Management Studies (DMS) 1994
Certificate in Management Studies (CMS) 1984
National Examination Board Certificate in Supervisory Studies (NEBSS) 1971
City & Guilds of London Institute – Mechanical Engineering 1966-1971
Date of Birth: 14 August 1950
Marital Status: Married
UK ‘SC’ Security Clearance + Working with children clearance.
Scottish CRB (Held by AMEC)
INTERESTS: Cycling, Reading and Geocaching